Restaurant Bar and Cafe Reviews

Restaurant Bar and Cafe Reviews
Restaurant Bar and Cafe Reviews

Friday 4 April 2014

The Old Siege House, Colchester (2011)...

We’d chosen this The Old Siege House for our anniversary meal as we wanted to go somewhere local and more up-market than a general restaurant. The fact that they had customer parking at the back of the building was a bonus. It was a Tuesday evening and to begin with we were the only customers in there at 7pm, although a few more arrived a little later.

The décor was nice and everything looked clean. We were seated right by the window so we could watch the world go by, although at times I did feel a bit like a fish in a bowl.

When presented with the menus I was a little disappointed at the lack of variety, especially for vegetarians. The waitress was quite attentive, although service was a bit on the slow side considering how few customers were in there. She immediately told us that the goats cheese was off (one option less for yours truly). My partner had already decided on the steak before leaving home, so I was the one holding up proceedings. I enquired about the asparagus, only to be informed that due to an issue with the supplier that was also off! The only two remaining options, as far as I could tell, were mushrooms with lentils (I don’t like lentils) or butter-nut squash (which I’d never tried before.) As salads or jacket potatoes were not an option I had little choice but to ask for the butter-nut squash and hope that I liked it.

We’d asked for a basket of bread, which arrived with a small bowl of olive oil 10 minutes later and was tasty, and a parmesan and rocket salad to ‘pick at’ while we waited for our mains. Unfortunately, they’d over-done the balsamic vinegar on the rocket and everything tasted a little bitter.

My partner’s steak arrived and he seemed suitably impressed with it, and my butter-nut squash also arrived. Thankfully it tasted quite nice, although it was quite a large plateful of one vegetable. They’d also given me a bowl of chips and a side salad.

We skipped dessert, mainly because we were full.

The toilets are some of the cleanest I’ve ever encountered and a credit to the establishment.

The meal was ok, but quite pricey and lacked variety on the menu.
It was nice for a one-off experience but I probably wouldn’t return.

No comments:

Post a Comment