Restaurant Bar and Cafe Reviews

Restaurant Bar and Cafe Reviews
Restaurant Bar and Cafe Reviews

Friday 4 April 2014

The Bull, Long Melford, Suffolk (2013)...

We were in the area so decided to pop into The Bull for a meal.

The restaurant was booked for a wedding so we were directed to the bar for food.

Very 'olde worlde' with low beams and nice atmosphere. Staff were polite and efficient.

It was 6pm and not too busy so we chose a table and checked the menu. I wanted a jacket potato with beans and my partner wanted steak, so he went to the bar to order - only to be told that they don't do jackets after 5pm. This was actually written on the top of the menu but the bar was quite dimly lit and I simply didn't notice it. A separate 'before 5pm' menu would've been useful as sandwiches, wraps and ciabattas were also unavailable after 5pm.

I had another look, and due to the fact it was hard to spot a tiny 'v' next to the food in dim light I opted for vegetable and cashew nut paella. This was garnished with rocket and sour cream (the lemon was missing but not an issue).

My partner's steak was rare (he asked for medium but said it was ok to eat and didn't want to send it back to the kitchen as it wasn't a real problem). He had chips (again, ok but not the best) and 1/2 a tomato with a grilled mushroom (apparently you can't have a side salad with it). This was accompanied by a tiny pot of pepper sauce.

I also had a coffee while my partner had a beer. The total cost was £30, which was actually quite expensive for what we were given.

My paella was ok but for over £8 for a bowl of rice and veg with a few strands of rocket and a spoon full of cream it was (in my opinion) a little expensive.

No comments:

Post a Comment